Ham & Swiss Sliders with Homemade Macaroni
It was a chilly Sunday afternoon several years back and I was working with an old friend on a new project when she made the most delicious little sandwiches I’d had in quite a long time. Of course I pleaded for the recipe and quickly jotted down the simple steps as we enjoyed a lunch that filled our bellies and satisfied our souls. Unfortunately months later when I went to make these yummy sandwiches the pencil had worn away from my then, very buttery fingertips. Queue sadness…
Then 8 weeks ago I discovered what a brilliant person or group of people created in Pinterest and ta-da!!! There was a picture of the buttery sandwiches I have such fond memories of! I was overjoyed. I quickly followed the link (thegirlwhoateeverything) and hit the kitchen! The recipe that follows is my adaptation of the one I found on Pinterest. Please try them both, google for others and of course, adapt it for your taste buds but most of all, ENJOY!
12 Rolls, 36 Slices of Ham (sliced thin for sandwiches), 24 Slices of Swiss (small slices)
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise, 1/2 Cup Miracle Whip
3/4 TBLS Poppy Seeds, 2 TBLS Ground Mustard, 1 Cup Melted Butter, 2 TBLS Minced Onion, 1 TSP Worcestershire
1) Mix Miracle Whip and Mayonnaise and spread onto each half of all 12 rolls. Lay bottom halves of rolls snugly in a 9 x 13 pan. Layer each roll with 3 slices of ham folded into quarters and top off with 2 slices swiss cheese followed by the top of each bun.
2) Mix all sauce ingredients together is a medium bowl and pour over the tops of your sandwiches. I like my sandwiches rich and buttery so I use all of the sauce on my sandwiches and spread the sauce with a plastic pastry/basting brush. With all 12 snug in your pan very little sauce will sit on bottom so I’ve not had any problem with soggy sandwich bottoms.
3) Cover pan with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes (time varies depending on your oven). Uncover and bake another 2-5 minutes for light brown, slightly crispy tops and serve warm.
This delicious homemade Macaroni recipe is my adaptation of a recipe I received from my sister Emily.
4 Cups Macaroni Noodles, 8 TBLS Butter, 4 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheese, 2/3 Cup Sour Cream, 2 Cans Campbell’s Cheddar Soup, 3/4 TSP Salt, 1 Cup Milk, 1 TSP Ground Mustard, Fresh Ground Salt & Pepper to taste.
1) Cook Macaroni in a large pot for 8 minutes. Just enough to give the noodles a head start, not to fully cook them.
2) Meanwhile, in a medium pot melt butter and shredded cheese until smooth.
3) In crock pot mix all remaining ingredients together until smooth. Add cheese mixture and noodles and cook on low for 2-3 hours, stirring periodically. I have a newer digital crock pot and it comes out perfect and creamy after 2 hours. Enjoy!